Thursday, June 12, 2008

DCPS Teaching License Frustration

I'm a DC Teaching Fellow wrapping up my 3rd year of teaching in DCPS. I never got a provisional teaching license because I did not complete my Praxis exams prior to starting teaching. I think I'm on the school system's "termination list" because I'm not a highly qualified teacher. I have successfully completed my Praxis exams. Will I be able to continue teaching at my school next year? DCPS says it's not their domain -- I have to talk to OSSE (Office of the State Superintendent of Education). OSSE says AU (my university) has to handle my application for a teaching license. AU says I have to complete my portfolio first, by July 3. But I'm worried I might be terminated before that. AU says my provisional license (which I don't have) is good until September. I'm planning to go in person to OSSE on Monday (using some of my portfolio production time). Hopefully I will get some useful information about my situation. I would like to complete my portfolio and submit it before July 3 so I can get the license later this summer.